Two varied boards of education are meeting the educational requirements of kids in India. Even though, there is other state level syllabus, these two boards are known for their best quality education and also centralized syllabus is followed in these boards as against state board.
The two boards are CBSE or Central Board of Secondary Education and ICSE or Indian Certificate of Secondary Education. Even though, the subjects taught in both these boards are similar, selecting the right board is crucial as the selection made by the parents at the young age of the kid is going to play a crucial role in the future of the kid. As more and more Indians give increased importance to education these days, the confusion with respect to the selection of the right board arises in every household in the country sooner or later.
Here, it is important for parents to evaluate the pros and cons of each of these boards as they have their own set of merits and demerits. It is better for the parents to consider the strengths of the kid, when it comes to the selection of the best suitable board. The reason is that future of the kid can be shaped only on the basis of his/her interests.
Central Board Of Secondary Education:
CBSE is the main board of education in the country when it comes to school level education. The board conducts the All India Senior School Certificate Examination each year for students completing their 12th grade and the score secured by students in this grade acts as the foundation for them to seek admission to higher education institutions in the future.
This board also has the responsibility of conducting the All India Engineering Entrance Examination (AIEEE), which as the name implies is conducted for selection of the right talents to the engineering course at UG level. Now, let us get into the benefits of studying in this board:
Benefits of CBSE:
- One of the greatest benefits associated with opting for CBSE is that most of the competitive examinations for engineering conducted at all-India level are based on the syllabus framed by this board for the higher secondary classes. Some of these examinations include, AIPMT, AIEEE and IIT-JEE.
- Due to more compact structure and lesser number of subjects, this is comparatively a board with easier syllabus. Also, under this board, secondary subjects like environmental education are not compulsory. In addition, subjects like biology, chemistry and physics, come under the common name of science and also civics, geography and history come under the main subject called social sciences.
- Furthermore, a certificate from CBSE board has recognition all through the country in all higher education institutions and colleges. As the board follows a concentric curriculum, the syllabus is more application based under this board of education.
Now, it is time to understand the demerits of this board, so that parents can make the ideal choice towards the future of their kid.
Demerits of CBSE:
- The important problem with this board is that much attention is not given towards providing practical knowledge to the students. In addition, the board does not pay attention towards improving the core English knowledge of students, as more attention is given towards disciplines of science and mathematics.
- The subjects in this board of education are approached in a theoretical manner and true focus is not given towards real-life concepts behind science. Even though, as mentioned earlier, the board follows an application-oriented syllabus, the subjects do not provide room for effective understanding of the concepts.
Now, comes the ICSE board and let us gather some details about this board:
Indian Certificate of Secondary Education:
This board was initially established by the Local Examinations Syndicate of the University of Cambridge. Mainly on the grounds of volume and content, the syllabus followed in ICSE has vast difference when compared to CBSE. This board conducts the ICSE examination at the end of the 10th grade and an Indian School Certificate Examination shortly called as ISC is conducted at the end of the class 12. It is time to evaluate the merits and demerits of this board:
Benefits of ICSE:
- The syllabus followed in this board of education is more complete and comprehensive as equal importance is given to all fields of education.
- In case parents find at a stage that their child has more interest towards humanities and management fields, the best thing parents can do is to enroll him/her at an ICSE school. The reason is that the child will find the ICSE curriculum to be highly interesting and challenging.
- Another excellent benefit associated with this board of education is that the certification from this board will be valid from around the world and not just in India.
- As the board pays attention towards English knowledge of students, children from this board of education will hold a slight edge over students from other boards in international level English examinations like TOEFL.
Now, it is time to get into the demerits associated with this board:
Demerits of ICSE:
- Most kids will have initial difficulty in adjusting themselves to the syllabus as most of them find that the syllabus is too expensive for their liking. When it comes to average students, facing 13 examinations during the 6th grade, as compared to six subjects in CBSE affiliated schools is something highly tough.
- Even though, syllabus taught in this board will facilitate deeper understanding of concepts, pursuing higher education might be a tough task as the students cannot score marks in this syllabus due to lack of leniency in evaluation of papers.
The thing to be understood by parents here is that both these boards carry equal amount of merits and demerits. So, they should arrive at the decision on the basis of what they envision their kid to be in the future. Both these boards provide the best quality education and it is important to evaluate the strengths and ability of the child in selecting the suitable board.
More than the kind of board, the quality of education kids can get is the thing to be of fundamental concern. So, irrespective of the board under which a school comes, it is important to choose the right school for shaping the future of the kid in a fruitful manner.