The Navodaya Vidyalaya System is a unique experiment in the history of education in India. Navodaya Vidyalaya is affiliated to CBSE which offer free education to the children from class VI to class XII. It provides not only quality education but also provide free boarding and lodging facilities to students. The only state where Navodaya Vidyalaya is not situated is Tamil Nadu.
In this school maximum, 80 students get admission per year. Navodaya Vidyalaya Samiti runs Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya. There are approximately 596 Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya across India. The male students from general category who are not below the poverty line have to pay Rs. 200 per month which is deposited into welfare fund of the school called Vidyalaya Vikas Nidhi.
The names of their hostels are also unique like Aravali, Nilgiri, Shivalik and Udaigiri which was the names of mountains in India. In this school student can learn three different languages and hami navodaya chain is the prayer of these schools.
In Navodaya schools two hours are daily given for pursuing sports. The first Navodaya Vidyalaya was set up in Amravati in Maharashtra in 1985. In this school, they have a matrimonial section for their staff which aims at facilitating marriage within themselves. These schools organise a different art in the education programme in which famous personalities come to interact with students.
The eligibility criterion is different for rural area students and urban area students.
For rural students – At least 75% seats are reserved for rural candidates. Those candidates who want to get admission should study their third, fourth and fifth class from rural area schools. They must have their rural status certificate issued by District Magistrate, Tehsildar or Block development officer; it is mandatory for their admission.
For urban students – Those candidates who studied in an urban area school even for a single day will be considered as the urban candidate. 25% seats are reserved for urban candidates.
There is also a provision for reservation for seats where 1/3 seats are reserved for girls, and 3% seats are for special children.
Navodaya Vidyalaya Admission Process:
- For getting admission in JNVs, students have to qualify the entrance exam called JNVST developed, designed and conducted by NCERT earlier and now it is carried out by the CBSE, except admissions in class IX and XI to the very limited seats held on annually apparently on February 2 Sunday.
- It is administered by the respective JNV regional centre.
- The test consists of Reasoning/Mental ability skills, Maths and Regional language.
- The school provided reservation as per the rules of Government. of India, at least 75% selection of students from rural areas, maximum 25% selection from urban areas and fixed 33% of girl students.
- The JNV Samiti takes extended care to make the applications available (and to communicate their availability through multiple media outlets) to rural districts, to adequately serve this under-served population.
- Every year every JNV select almost 80 most meritorious students. There are no fees for admission fee and re-admission.
After clearing the entrance exam, candidates have to deposit their documents like birth certificate, pass certificate of last class with mark sheet, SC/ST certificate, etc. for Navodaya Vidyalaya admission. Those candidates who are in the disabled category have to submit their medical certificate. There is no provision of rechecking or totalling. And only those candidates will get admissions who are appeared in selection test.
The result of JNVST will be displayed in the offices of Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya, District education officer, Deputy Commissioner, District Magistrate and Navodaya Vidyalaya Samiti of the region. The result is also declared on the official website of Navodaya Vidyalaya Samiti.